Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Bethel Christmas

This year was Bethel Atlanta's first Christmas Eve service. Now that might not sound like a big deal to you, but for me it is huge. Getting to tangibly spend time in God's presence on Christmas Eve was one of the most fulfilling things I could ever ask for. Worshiping alongside our closest friends, and getting to not only sing Christmas carols, but actually worship through them was incredible. I just love God's presence. And feeling like I was truly honoring Him on Christmas was better than I imagined.

Most Christmas songs have weighty words. And for some reason, most church services never spend time really digging into the songs. It's easy to sing 7-8, or even one or two songs quickly without ever actually unpacking God's heart in them. This past weekend I found that God had so much for me within certain song lyrics, and I'd never really been given the space to pull those sentiments to the surface until now.

'til He appeared and the soul felt its worth

Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!

Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother
And in His name all oppression shall cease

He rules the earth with truth and grace
and makes the nations prove
the glories of His righteousness
and the wonders of His love

Sing choirs of angels, sing in exultation
sing all ye citizens of heaven above
glory to God in the highest:
O come let us adore Him


These are some of the lyrics that really captured me this year. None of them are earth shattering when you first read them, but having worship leaders sing prophetically through them was just amazing. God's presence completely overwhelmed me on Christmas Eve, and singing of His holiness and glory only magnified His presence around me. This year I am so grateful for a church that isn't satisfied with just "doing church."

If we don't experience God's presence, we've missed it.


No comments: