Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Flank Steak Suicide

I read this article on The New York Times and it got me thinking about how I marinade meat. And honestly I don't really marinade meat. Patrick does. I do all the other stuff, which seems to be slightly more important in my mind. But this time I wanted to try something different, and maybe even a little bit bizarre. So I opted for my own creative juices in hope they'd serve me well.


And before I go any further, in an effort to maintain full disclosure, I need to tell you that I have yet to actually try this recipe. So if I have my act together later on tonight or tomorrow, I'll let you know how it turns out. But for now, just invision what it could be, and get inspired to make your own glorious concoction.

In honor of the 8-year old at the soda fountain, we'll call this Flank Steak Suicide.

Flank Steak Marinade Suicide

2 cloves of garlic
1 chopped peach
Handful of chopped black cherries
Some red pepper, red pepper flakes, ginger, and salt
Soy sauce
Lemon juice and zest
Handful of mint and cilantro (only because they grow in my yard)
Brown Sugar

I threw it all in the blender and voila. Ugly, sludgy marinade...that actually smelled pretty good. In a sweet and spicy, garlicky kind of way. (I only used brown sugar because my buddy at the NY Times suggested it helps with mean browning over a grill.)

On my pan I put a little bit of sesame oil and some balsamic vinegar, then put my slab of flank steak down on top of it. Then I poured my thick, dark red mixture over top of the meat. And now it is sitting in the fridge soaking in all of the love it can get before we throw it on the grill.

*One suggestion other than the brown sugar that I used, was that adding a little oil to your marinade can keep your meat from sticking to the grill. Hence my additional sesame oil. Which I mean to put in the marinade. But forgot. 

Here's to a great dinner on the grill! 



No comments: