Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Life and Loving on Purpose

It's been a busy week here in the West household. 


Patrick went to Puerto Rico for a work event. I took my car into the shop, not once, not twice, but THREE times. My dad had shoulder surgery this morning. I've been battling a sore throat and possible sinus infection, while trying to hammer out 40+ hours of work in the marketing automation world. We sent off two of our best friends to Nicaragua for a mission trip. Welcomed a new baby into our extended family. And I personally went through 2 boxes of Kleenex in less than a week. Do they give awards for stuff like that?


In other news, I'm finishing up book 4 of the Harry Potter series, using a hand warmer as a heating pad for my swollen lymph nodes, and frantically trying to catch up on Project Runway Allstars (and ihategreenbeans.com). And to be honest, I thought Heidi Klum not being a part of the Project Runway Allstars would be a terrible thing. But it turns out, the newest judges are kind, funny, smart, and communicate really well to the contestants. So I don't end up yelling at Nina Garcia my tv for  liking something one minute and hating it the next. Those poor contestants. Those judges were hard to please. I feel sorry for their (ex)significant others. Obviously, if you don't follow pop culture, then you might have missed that Heidi and Seal are on the fritz. As are Will and Jada.


Last weekend Patrick and I went to a "Loving Your Kids on Purpose" conference with Danny Silk (no we are not pregnant). The conference was amazing and shed so much light on how to help people be free in relationships. (If Jacquelyn were here she'd commiserate with me on why being controlling shouldn't be a bad thing). I thought I'd include a few nuggets of Truth that I took away from this weekend (and yes, they all stung a little bit):


-Where there is no love, there are high rules. Freedom demonstrates character, not rules. You can't be free if you don't have a choice.


-We re-present who God is to our children. We show them how the Father interacts with those who make mistakes.


-The greatest lie you can teach your kids is "I control you" and "You can be controlled." 


-We lose our connection with our children and the ability to influence them when we try to control.


-Freedom puts on the surface what is really there. And that is scary and vulnerable, but that is what love is.


-You can't sow in bad seeds in the name of being a parent. At some point you will reap what you sow.


-Keep your love on. Even when you disagree. Otherwise we have very conditional love and we disconnect easily.




All of these are awesome take-aways that I think would be best understood if they were tattoo-ed on my forehead. They apply to all relationships, and since we are relational beings, it would be foolish to not take some of these to heart in dealing with not just our children, but friends, family and co-workers as well. 







No comments: