Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Continually Challenged

A few weeks ago, a dear friend challenged me with who I am at work. My job is one that I love, but I’ve always held myself back a little bit because I want to honor the culture that has taken years to cultivate. I knew in getting the job that there was a reason I was meant to be a part of this group. I enjoy the company, the work, the heart, etc. but I also know that I’m meant to bring something a little different to the table. What am I supposed to bring? And how do I intentionally do it?

There are a few things that I know that I carry and am meant to deposit everywhere that I go. First is helping people see their potential, and moving into a place where they are living out of who God created them to be. Most Christians don’t truly know who they are, or what God has destined for them to do. For some reason churches and people and books and the world have told us that we aren’t actually as powerful as God says that we are. That we aren’t as significant. That we don’t have as much to offer. But God says with Him all things are possible (Matt. 19:26), that He is giving us all authority and power to do the things that Jesus did (Luke 9:1-2), and that we will do even greater things than Jesus did (John 14:12). We are no longer sinners, but saints that have been set apart. And I want to help people see and grab ahold of their true potential.

The second part of that is hearing from God on behalf of others. Hearing what He loves about people, how their skills can be used, what strengths He’s given them, and what makes them different from everyone else. Everyone needs to know that the world needs who they are. They carry something no one else does, and not stepping into that is depriving the world of a wonderful gift.

Thirdly, (I’m still learning what this looks like) I carry an atmosphere of freedom. I want people to feel completely free to be themselves around me. I try not to get offended easily (still a work in progress), and give people permission to ask questions and grow in their own time. I don’t want people to have to perform around me in any way, because honestly true relationship can’t happen if someone always feels like they have to perform. Or look a certain way. Or be a certain way. I know there are certain people that make me feel insecure, so I want to be very conscious of the kinds of comments I make, especially if they relate to topics that could be sensitive for others. Hopefully some of my life’s events have prepared me for a variety of these opportunities and how to and how not to handle them.

These things are all part of who God created me to be. And everyone is beautifully and uniquely different, and I love that I get to interact with so many different kinds of people. Sharing life stories and experiences. Thoughts and questions. The valleys of “process” and the mountains. These are the things I thrive on. Doing relationship. So over the next few months my goal is to learn how these things "fit" at work. How do I add value to my office? To my colleagues and friends?

This is only the beginning, but a part of a very rewarding and hopefully fun process.


No comments: