Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Thousand Splendid Suns

This is the book I'm currently reading. Yes, I'm a little behind the times, but I'm okay with that. Ministry school books have kept me preoccupied for the last two years, so I'm finally doing some "catch-up" reading.

This book is phenomenal. The author, Khaled Hosseini is a one-of-a-kind writer. He has a way of fitting every sentence and word around a certain emotion that he wants to invoke in you. Everything from his word choice, hand motion and flick of the eye revolves around this one emotion, creating layers and layers of meaning and depth in each plot line. I've never really noticed that about any other author, but I've wondered how Hosseini's stories can be so sad, yet so engaging. Each sentence supports a very specific feeling, without actually specifying the feeling.

I encourage all readers to pick up this book, as well as The Kite Runner. Both are quick and meaty reads.

No comments: