Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Candy and Cookies and Ice Cream, Oh my!

So one of my favorite things in life is dessert. Whether that be Double Stuffed Oreos or Dulce de Leche ice cream, I love dessert. Now I understand that most of you would concur with the attachment I feel towards my beloved sugars and cream. But for some reason, not everyone shares the same sentiment.

Enter- one of my biggest pet peeves.

I appreciate healthy people. People that work out, eat fruits and vegetables, take a multivitamin, etc. I try to do all of those things as often as possible. Healthy people are not my pet peeve. Healthy people that insist on telling you how healthy they live, are. I lived with a girl in college who ran a marathon and ate like a champ. She's beautiful and vibrant, and was always up for anything. I appreciated her because she was very healthy and made great decisions, but she didn't insist on talking about those decisions.

My roommates in college and I baked every day. We loved cookies and pies and s'mores and ice cream. It was fun because even the one roommate who ate more organically, would help us bake, eat cookie dough, or scoop out ice cream. She didn't make a big deal out of not eating those things every time we made them. And I appreciated that. I always felt beautiful and confident around her.

I feel like during this season of life, I'm surrounded by neurotically healthy people. People who not only want to eat well and exercise, but people who take 15 supplements, go on fasts, or do cleanses. I have a value system for people who want to be healthy. But I have become less and less confident around these people because they make me feel like a slob. All of a sudden...I have complex that I never had before. I know I'm not going to be a size 0, and I'm okay with that. I enjoy my life. I love the food I eat. I don't mind having a Coke every couple of days or eating one too many cookies. I think that's what makes life fun. But having people that are obsessive about weight and how they look, make me wonder what they're thinking about me. If they're a size 0 and are cutting back on carbs or sugar, what are they thinking about me as I reach for another slice of pizza?

I'm trying to decide if it's me that's insecure, or are they the ones that are insecure?

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh I totally feel you here ... I am struggling with the same sorts of things. No answers from me - but at least you know you're not alone in the struggle. I'll eat cookies and pizza with you whenever you want :)

Anonymous said...

Great blog and so true! I would say the insecurity has to go both ways if we allow people's comments/actions dictate our thoughts and emotions about ourselves. Unfortunately, for those who must talk about "weight, health food, and calories" all the time, it gives us a view into their hearts and what consumes their lives. I think of it as the "comparison" game and 2 Corinthians 10:12 warns us strongly against comparing ourselves with one another because it's the foolishness of man.

This is something that I have had to fight against a lot being pregnant. Everyone is consumed with what you eat, don't eat, or should weigh. It get's really frustrating to hear comments on a daily basis, but again, I can't let their insecurities dictate my own:)

Anonymous said...

By the way, this is Lindsey, not Jonathan...i just have to use his account info in order to comment:)